April Fool’s Day is celebrated yearly on April 1st in many countries worldwide. Due to each one’s culture and traditions, this holiday has different customs.
France and Italy – The holiday is known as Poisson d’Avril, which translates to April Fish, and in Italy it is known as Pesce d’Aprile. Traditionally, schoolchildren will tape a picture of a fish on the back of an unsuspecting classmate and wait for the transgression to be discovered.
Scotland – Scottish folks enjoy making fun of their comrades so much that they’ve extended the holiday into a second day. April 1 was traditionally Hunt the Gowk day, although the name is fading out. Gowk means a foolish person, and sending a mate on a fool’s errand is the name of the game: you should ask someone to deliver a sealed message asking for help, the contents of which instruct the recipient to pass it along and continue the chain. The messaje reads “Dinna laugh, dinna smile. Hunt the gowk another mile.” The second day is known as Taily Day, which seems to have spawned the infamous “Kick Me” sign, and numerous posterior jokes.
Iran – The 13th day of the Persian New Year is called Sizdah Bedar, and usually falls on April 1st or April 2nd. Pranks have reportedly been played on this holiday since 536 BC, making it perhaps the oldest known joke day. It’s customary to spend the afternoon outside, celebrating the new season and indulging in food, laughter, games, and good-natured jokes. After a picnic, you throw away green vegetables, known as sabzeh, which represent any potential illnesses or bad luck for the coming year.
Portugal – The Sunday and Monday prior to Lent is when the Portuguese celebrate April Fool’s. They have a custom prank of their own: throwing flour on someone.
India – India’s Holi festival is celebrated on March 31st, and is a day to play jokes. People gather and toss colored dust and wear face and body paint to inaugurate spring.
Here’s a list of a few pranks you can try on your own this Monday, when we’re celebrating April Fool’s!
1. Garden gnomes have been the subject of many pranks over the years. They have been stolen, beheaded, defaced or even trashed. But here’s a more subtle idea: turn the garden gnome around and put it in a different place in the yard. This can get the owner pretty annoyed and it doesn’t usually get anyone in too much trouble.
2. Toilet papering a car. If you wrap a car in TP make sure it’s not a rainy day. It’s all good fun especially if it’s a coach, teacher, parent or older sibling that deserves it.
3. Drawing a mustache on a sleeping person who doesn’t normally have one is always fun. When they look in the mirror first thing in the morning, they will be shocked!
4. Placing rubber ducks and rubber chickens in interesting places around the house like the refrigerator, bottled water tank, favorite shoe box, desk drawer. Finding a rubber ducky floating in the toilet would give someone quite a scare.
5. Fake snakes, cockroaches, spiders and other scary creatures are other staples of jokes. The prank ideas involving these items also involves putting them in unusual places, such as a golf bag, purse, backpack, car seat, locker, hanging from the ceiling, on top of a door, around a pet door, in a drawer or even in the refrigerator.
6. Ping pong balls make for wonderful pranks. Perhaps, the top place to put the ping pong balls will be the kitchen cupboards at home so once the door is open, they’ll all fall out.
7. Post-it notes make wonderful accessories to decorate things with. You can placed them over someone’s door, locker, refrigerator, toilet, room or even car. The prank ideas are endless for these small portable yellow pads!
8. Putting a “Wet Paint” sign on all sorts of objects can be good fun at home or in public. At home you can put the sign on the door, for example and in public, you can decorate park benches, hand rails, doors and even windows with these signs.
9. Superglue coins to the sidewalk! Watch people’s reactions in a public place as they try to pick up the coins or kick them. It would be funny to secretly film them and even make a YouTube post of it!